[CF-Devel] RE: [Crossfire-cvs] CVS commit: arch

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri May 31 21:43:27 CDT 2002

David Hurst wrote:

     On 31-May-02

      crossfire-cvs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net

       wrote:

      change poisonfood to use the same face as booze

     so you can't tell simply by looking at it that it is bad food.

     This concerns me a little.  It's more or less allways been that way, and I tend

     to think it was intentional.  Are we sure we really want to change that?

      Yeah it was sort of the whole duff vs fudd type beer joke. Not only that

      but you can still tell by picking one up in a store by the cost, and dj

      has o use, where as jd is used for at least one altar I can think of.

  Note that poison still exists, it is just harder to distinguish (I did set the
cursed flag on it.) So altars and whatever that need it will still work - the
change in face won't break those.

  I guess my problem with it was that it is one of those things that requires
sharp eyes to notice.  This is even more difficult if for example you use
smaller icons for your inventory.  My thought is that making this different by a
few pixels isn't the right approach - I would say what should be done is either:

1) Make it indistinguishable except via spells or other detection mechanisms
(which is now the case)

2) Make it easily distinguishable.  Call it 'poison' and not booze.  Change the
image to be a bottle with a little scroll and crossbones.