[CF List] Windows DX Client

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Thu May 2 16:12:56 CDT 2002

      Thanks for the tip.  I'll try to see if it helps...

      I think I found an underlying problem though.  The monitor I am using

      is a 20" Relisys that is very, very old - I bought it as a refurb

      maybe 10 years ago, and I think it was made in the 80's.  It is

      possible that it has something to do with it.

      I notice now that when the system boots, I can barely see the the BIOS

      messages, and, sure enough, if I go into CMOS, the problem is there

      too.  The screen won't fit in the display.  It looks as though the

      monitor is apparently having trouble syncing to the default DOS

      video mode... I have a feeling this means that I am hosed if I

      want to keep using this monitor.  So, probably the OS reload was

      coincidental after all.  (Argh.  March/April was awfully high on

      computer related fatalities...  My CD burner and/or SCSI controller

      died, I hosed my OS, and now it looks like the monitor is

      aging...  but, such is life I guess. )

      I tried a newer 17" plug and play monitor and the video problem

      with the Windows DX client disappears except that the opening

      bar graph screen graphic is garbled.  Oddly, that screen works

      on the old monitor... which doesn't make much sense at all.

All what you have decribed points 100% to a driver problem. DirectX itself
has at last nothing to do
with this kind of stuff. Dx itself use at this point the hardware driver you
installed.

This kind of problems are very common at the time. The reason is the
incredible speed, NVidia and
ATI pushes new cards on the market. Testing driver for about 3-5 DirectX
versions and alot more
hardware standards is nothing you can do in a short time. There are many
many side effects - like
you discovered one.

I remember that i had a Voodoo 3 2000 and i was not able to play Starcraft
on it with DX 7.
The company brought every month 1-2 driver updates, but they need about 6
month to fix it.
So don't wonder.

MT