[CF List] Windows DX Client

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 2 11:49:25 CDT 2002

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try to see if it helps...

I think I found an underlying problem though.  The monitor I am using
is a 20" Relisys that is very, very old - I bought it as a refurb
maybe 10 years ago, and I think it was made in the 80's.  It is
possible that it has something to do with it.

I notice now that when the system boots, I can barely see the the BIOS
messages, and, sure enough, if I go into CMOS, the problem is there
too.  The screen won't fit in the display.  It looks as though the
monitor is apparently having trouble syncing to the default DOS
video mode... I have a feeling this means that I am hosed if I
want to keep using this monitor.  So, probably the OS reload was
coincidental after all.  (Argh.  March/April was awfully high on
computer related fatalities...  My CD burner and/or SCSI controller
died, I hosed my OS, and now it looks like the monitor is
aging...  but, such is life I guess. )

I tried a newer 17" plug and play monitor and the video problem
with the Windows DX client disappears except that the opening
bar graph screen graphic is garbled.  Oddly, that screen works
on the old monitor... which doesn't make much sense at all.

Since the BIOS boot screens are affected, it seems that there may
not be anything that can fix it in a software way.  The windows
drivers set modes that still seem to work with my monitor.

Kevin Bulgrien