[CF-Devel] Alchemy fiddling

emaillist+cfdev at dogphilosophy.net emaillist+cfdev at dogphilosophy.net
Thu Nov 7 13:07:51 CST 2002

'scuze the formatting - I just joined the list and am cutting-and-pasting
from the archives to reply here...

     I'd suggest a design allowing *any* skill to be used, instead of just those.

     So, if we later decide to create new skills, we'd just have to add related

     formulae into the formulae list. Probably each formula should schematically

     look like:

     [skill] [formula] [effect]

     instead of the current [formula] [effect]

     pattern.

     Maybe we could add some kind of tag for 'alchemical tools' (Cauldron,

     Worbench, etc), marking them as suitable for a specific alchemical skill.

     (For example, it could be something like "alchemy [skillname]" in the object

     archetype). This too would result in an easily customizable system.

I very much like this idea.  In addition to the obvious "making useful
items" this could be further extended to create "special effects", especially
if either the "alchemical" definition specifies the "alchemical tool" required
(and not requiring any tool if not specified) or if the skill can be defined
as to whether or not it needs a "tool" (or, alternatively, have a definition
that allows the player's inventory to be the "tool")

As a silly example, you could then have a "litterbug" skill, and a wandering
NPC with it that applies it to the pattern

litterbug food => garbage
litterbug water => empty_bottle

to represent eat/drinking and throwing the empties around, or something like

illusionism pixie_dust flint_and_steel => puff_of_smoke (fog)

for a stage-magician, or

degrade_metal platinacoin => goldcoin
degrade_metal goldcoin => silvercoin
degrade_metal silvercoin => pile_of_sulphur

for an odd metal-digesting wandering monster...

Just some thoughts.  I just recently compiled up crossfire on my system again
to play around with, and last night started tackling "adding new things".  I'm
impressed with how easy it seems to be so far with the flexible system that's
in place now (I created a new race as an experiment - I couldn't find any
documentation describing what was involved, but about an hour of poking around
the existing arch's and I was able to easily slap a new one together...)