[CF-Devel] Request for formulae/art/maps

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Mon Nov 11 03:55:45 CST 2002

So, I've committed some stuff to the alchemy code today, that allows a much
greater flexibility and variety of things to be done with it.  If possible, I'd
like to get some new stuff in there to show off this feature.  If any of this
piques your interest, please feel free to contribute.

1) Formulae.  I think alot of new formulae could be be devised for the new
alchemy stuff.. some things that had occurred to me:

Rings.  Maybe you add a potion of might, a hunk of gold and a diamond, and you
get a ring of Str.  A jeweler's bench might be nice for this. (jeweler skill)

Wands.  Maybe a stick of some sort, a scroll, some other random ingredient.
(thaumaturgy)

Books.  Perhaps a pile of scrolls could be bound into a book?  Maybe special
ingredients could be used, like skin, to make the binding for special books,
which could be combined with scrolls or other things to make a tome/grimoire.
(literacy)

Foods.  Different food ingredients might make a meal.  Perhaps a little food
with magical seasonings might make some of the more rare artifact foods, like
the magic mushrooms.  (woodsman)

Weapons/Armor. There should be alot of weapons and armor one could make with
the smithery skill.  Perhaps more of the random artifacts could be formulated.

It would be best, if some of the really cool formulae, required ingredients
from multiple skills.  So you might have like a special shield, that is made up
of items derrived from each of the other skills, culminating in the "ultimate
formulae" for that skill.  This would add an interesting element, as now you
might have to gather 30-40 items to make your one item, and would require all
of the different skills, or as gros mentioned.. players might work together to
pull it off.

Certain special formulae could also require a different cauldron.  Like a
special shield, might require you to find an anvil, rather than a forge, to
perform the formulae.

2. Graphics.  Some of the above is going to require new graphics.  There really
aren't that many cool foods in the game.  In additon, new graphics for some of
the skill items, like the forge, jeweler's bench, desk, pot/pan, bowyer's
workbench, and whatever you would make wands on.

In addition, back to weather for a brief second.. The following would be nice:

New rivers.  Wide rivers, little streams, branching streams, little trickles.

herbs, flowers, fruited trees.  Things I can plant on the world so people can
go out and pick apples and thyme for thier cooking skill.

What about grass in different colors.. or trees in various states of seasonal
change.  Perhaps I could figure out a way to make the leaves turn brown in the
fall, and the trees die in the winter.  grass could change to brown, back to
green.  Actual cactus that could sit on the desert tiles would be nice too.

Farm animals.  Cows, sheep, goats, pigs, horses.  For example, the ogre royalty
quest mentions ogres killing sheep.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a little
farm by the ogre cave that had a bunch of sheep wandering about?  Plus, you
could slaughter them for ingredients! :)  If we ever get transports working,
maybe you could rent a horse and ride it to navar.

3. Maps.  Some of the shops in scorn, or perhaps other cities as well, could
use a little room like the one on the alchemy shop, with a forge, workbench,
desk, etc, so people could actually use the new skills.  Perhaps instead some
of the unused houses in scorn could be transformed into work areas.  Each one
of these rooms might contain a few random books/scrolls that detail some of the
formulae one might use.  Perhaps some of the really easy formulae might be
permanently detailed on a fake book, so a newbie could get right into the fun.
(Imagine how neat it would be for a newbie dwarf to run through the newbie
tower, and come out with a pile of orc bits, and make himself a nice pretty
dagger)

Also.. a lighting emporium for scorn would be really nice.  A nice little shop
that sells a variety of torches, flints, lamps, and other glowing things.  When
you put it on the map of scorn, it should be really brightly lit.  :)

Additional ideas welcome.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net