[CF-Devel] Request for formulae/art/maps

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Nov 13 02:23:23 CST 2002

  Some quick comments -

  I agree with the idea that a general 'mechanism' for alchemy makes sense.  Eg,
dragon scales + other result in fire resistance, creature heart + arrow =
slaying (or assassinating).

  I'm a little concerned about making those too automatic.  I don't know if I
really want it abstracted to the point where the player can make boots of fire
resistance, cloak of fire res, ring, helm, ... all fire res.

  I think (from my perspective) would be to have the formula reflect some
standard, but not necesarily have them be generic.

Note the creationg of 'anything good' through alchemy type things should
increase the item_power of the object. That code isn't currently enforced, but
that is what we are moving to.

  Arguably, the alchemy code could be used to replace the current weapon
enchantment method.

  Books - should make sure that only books that could randomly occur can be
created.  It'd otherwise be sort of pointless if the reward for some quest is
some special spell, but once the person learned that spell, he can make books
for everyone who wants it (the case still exists that someone could fetch the
book from the quest for other people, but that is certainly harder than just
scribing them).

  Food - I've often said that current body parts that litter the battlefield
should go bad - like nethack, at some point, they become poisonous, and at some
later point, they just decompose.  You could add a 'canning kit', and people
could preserve these parts if so desired (maybe have to pick up empty
cans/bottles someplace?)  Eg, leg + can = canned leg of ....  That chicken + a
fire should equal roast bird.

Maps/images:

the idea of fruiting trees where the player could go and potentially pick those
apples and oranges would add least add some consistency to the game.

  Of course, one could really take this to the full extreme - also have things
like wheat, grinding mills, ovens, etc.   Other than color, I'm not really sure
if this would be of much use.

  If we're on the topic of images, I'd prefer some more shop images - basically,
right now there is armor, weapon, general, and magic.  I'm pretty sure the
alchemy shop uses the same as the magic shop, and there is another shop (range
weapon shop?) that uses the normal weapon shop image.

  Would be nice to have those have their own faces.  If a lighting emporium is
added, then it having it's own face would also be nice.

  Same thing for workshops - could have bunch of workshop house images.