[CF-Devel] Re: New races and spells.

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Wed Nov 13 17:02:04 CST 2002

On 13-Nov-02 Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I think this is a good idea.  If we got rid of the class/race face

      distinction and made a set of  choosable arches for each race (with some

      overlap when body types are similar).  Need a few more pictures here and

      there (some more elves, trolls, a halfling in full battle armour...maybe

      even a couple different dragon types, but they would be useful to reuse for

      npc's as well. It would be easier to have players pick from one big larger

      set, but I wouldn't want to see fireborn picking a halfling face, or a dwarf

      looking like a troll...

Personally.. I'm all for letting players choose whatever crazy picture they
want.. within some amount of reason.  The problem is, that you get on a server,
and you see a pile of you's standing around talking.

1) Q. dragon, fireborn.  They get what they got.  Not much variety here.
Though, I wouldn't object to a Q getting to pick his color.  Maybe we could
just run over a few of the Q pics with a color-switcher, and declare victory?

2) Elves, dwarves, ogres, trolls, half-orcs.  Why not just let them pick from a
pile of monster images?  As well as the human images.

3) Huumies:  Let them pick from any number of stupid human pictures.  There are
GOBS in the game.  sages, shopkeepers, madmen, etc etc.  Again, run a few over
with a color switcher, and poof, you've added variety.  (Like the elf image
might look good in purple, or red)

4) Undead:  If I'm a cool undead guy.. I want to go pick out a vampire or lich
image.

And the best part is.. you could probably do *all* of this without a single
line of code.  Just have a little shop, with a few separate areas.  Some
no-pass walls that prevent humans from wandering into orc pics.  Perhaps you
get in via a ticket that allows one person to pass.  We give every starting
player one as a startequip, and charge some hideous amount for new ones.  Maybe
even have a few different classes of them.  Charge more for really cool
pictures?  Perhaps run the shop like the mana shop.. charge money for a
one-shot-use changer square.  Heck.. you could even make a quest out of it.
Have it want some obscure item in exchange for access to a certain face.

I'm pretty sure some form of the player changers will do this.  If not.. I'm
willing to make it happen in the code, but someone's gotta do the map, and make
the list of acceptable faces.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net