[CF-Devel] Re: New races and spells.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Nov 15 00:15:19 CST 2002

  Various notes -

  Garbled ideas of using shop like mechanism to choose faces is a good one - it
provides the most convenient mechanism to let players see what their choices
look like.  Inventory type checkers could be used to prevent only the proper
races to certain selection points (eg, the halfling wing, dwarf wing, human
ring, etc).

  The only downside on this is that it is sort of an odd approach to choose
faces.  But it does have the advantage that the player can't change their face
on the fly (think of a case where you are trying to follow another player for
whatever reason, and they instantly change their face to be that of surrounding
players or whatever).

  The idea of special faces also being available is interesting.  This could be
yet another way for a character to show their status.

  I don't really like the idea of using a naming convention for available faces
- just too much risk that someone will accidentally/unintentionally use a face
of that naming convention.

Player animations:  MT listed most of the reasons.  It probably wouldn't be too
hard to have the player animation follow the same as everything else (and in
fact, if done, would make things a bit simpler).

  I think some of the other reason is that work to animate players is more
difficult - players have 4 facings, so to make animations is more faces than
animations for some other objects.

  Not sure if special code is needed for theives.  There are other classes/races
out there that also have theiflike skills.  But as said, I think it would be
more appropriate for the races/classes to match what they look like - so the
theif would typically use the lightly or medium armored image.