[CF-Devel] Re: New races and spells.

Flying Pedestrian emaillist+cfdev at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Nov 13 11:19:50 CST 2002

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 01:08 am, Mark Wedel wrote:

      > [...]  Class faces for each race would be ok, but it

      > would be more work and it does not allow for the incognito factor - this

      > would be especially neat for thieves to do away with class face.  - this

      > wouldn't be to hard to do at all.

      > The other other idea is neat though if we can get some good graphics.

        Well, it's not just a simple matter of 'dwarf wizard should have robes'

      type of thing.  After all, pretty much any race/class can use any weapon

      and armor.

     [...]
What I originally had in mind wasn't code to dynamically alter the appearance
by equipment worn, but just to extend the existing scheme to allow "alternate"
class faces be defined in race arch's.  Right now, there is a choice of
"change face to one of the human(oid) class faces" or "don't change at all".

It makes sense that the Dragon and Quetzalcoatl and fireborn races should stay
"no_class_face_change" since they're going to look pretty much the same
no matter what they "wear" (since there's not much they CAN wear), but
it might make sense to, e.g., create a generic "armed troll" graphic for
troll players of one of the "mainly warrior" types, a "crudely robed troll"
for anyone trying to play a troll wizard/priest type, and leave the "generic
troll" for everything else.

I was thinking support for tags like "class_face_paladin troll_warrior",
"class_face_barbarian troll_warrior" (etc.) in the troll race arch, where
if the player chose a class listed in there, the system would change the
player's "face" as described (otherwise keeping the "no_class_face_change"
behavior if not).

Probably in most cases there'd only be one or two alternate "faces" for
non-human races at most, with several similar classes specifying the same
class face.

(As to incognito thieves - perhaps there could be a "random" class face that
one could use for e.g. thieves and ninja which would randomly pick one of the
others.  That'd make them indistinguishable at a glance from any other random
class without a lot of extra code...)

Just my thoughts.