[CF-Devel] skill musings.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Nov 15 23:31:08 CST 2002

  It seems that breaking skills off the exp categories is a go - didn't see any
dissents on that.

Skills from quests - I had mentioned in irc (but not in the mail) that perhaps
skills learned there are automatic - it would be frustrating to do the quest
only to not learn the skill.  The other idea was to perhaps change skill
learning away from the skill scroll and instead an item (or npc script for that
matter).  OTOH, I know there are some quests to get whatever spellbook, and no
guarentee you'll learn the spell.  I just think it may be a bit
frustrating/tiring to have to repeat a quest numerous times to learn the skill.

  Also, right now learning skills is based simply on int/literacy.  That in
itself may not make a lot of sense.

  Having players learn skills via quests would mean high level characters would
learn all the skills.  I don't have a really big problem with that - no matter
what, most high level characters are going to look pretty similar because of the
items they get.  The main point from my side is to make it so for the first X
levels will be pretty unique for each class.

Re armor/weapons:  I know various RPG's says xyz can't use such weapons.  From a
realism standpoint, that isn't that good.  Me, as a person living on 2002 earth,
can pick up a longsword and put on chain mail.  I may not be able to do much in
it, but nothing preventing me from picking those up.

  One thought could be to add some idea of different weapon proficiences (as
skills).

  Thus, you may have 'axe', 'sword', 'dagger', 'mace/hammer' skills.  You can
always use a weapon, but if you don't have the skill, you have a pretty terrible
penalty - terrible enough that you probably don't want to do so.  OTOH, if you
found a really good artifact weapon, may still be worthwhile to use it.

  I'd hate to limit mages to only using daggers and wearing robes - how many
quests does that now make it pointless for them to go on (since the reward is
weapon or armor)?

  The only problem with weapon proficiencies is that the 'sword' is probably the
best one.  But it creates an interesting situation if that player finds a really
great axe - do I start using it or not?  I wouldn't get too fined grained on
weapon proficiencies - not too many more than above, but I'm sure I missed some.

  As for armor, could add proficiences with a similiar idea - if you don't have
the proficiency, the speed penalty for wearing it is worse, as is perhaps the sp
regen penalty and casting penalty (just not comfortable in wearing it).  Such
armor proficiency penalties (light/medium/heavy) would actually advance in
level, but could be used to prevent that mage from deciding to wear plate armor.

  Other random ideas:

For skills that let you identify items, we could key iin on the item_power
(whenever it gets fully debugged).  If the item_power is higher than your skill
level, you can't identify it.  This is better than the random approach right
now.  Also, the exp you get would depend on your level relative to the
item_power of the item.  Eg, if your skill level is 5, and item_power is 5, you
get much more exp for that item compared to if its item_power was 1 (eg, more
interesting item = more exp).

Should really add a way to award exp to specific skills (via some method on
map).  In this way, quests could award exp to specific categories.  Thus, you
could make a 'literacy' quest which gets you exp, but isn't just a matter of
reading a whole bunch of books.

Hp/mana/grace:  mana and grace are already derived from your level in the
appropriate skill category - I would think that should be the same.

  I think keeping overall level for hp (and other things like how much
item_power you can wear) is fine.  Way back when, it was tried with hp being
from physical exp.  End result is everyone then has to get a fair amount of
physical exp in order to survive.  If anything, I think we want to try and
encourage skill specialization, eg, you can focus on wizardry all you want, but
you'll still have decent HP and being able to use decent (magical) equipment.

If skills have their own exp, I'm not sure I still want the idea of exp
categories - that complicates the code.  OTOH, it could be interesting to have
some idea where skills evolve.  Maybe at level 10 of wizardry, you can now sense
magic in items, just because you are now so in tune with magical forces.  Maybe
after going on some quest, you get some 'expert armor' skill, which lets you
wear armor with less penalty, etc.