[CF-Devel] skill musings.

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Sat Nov 16 10:04:23 CST 2002

On 16-Nov-02 Mark Wedel wrote:

        It seems that breaking skills off the exp categories is a go - didn't see

      any

      dissents on that.

Yah..  I don't disagree with that really..

But I was brainstorming with some fellows again on IRC yesterday, and came up
with something else..  One thing I would like to say though.. is lets not be
too hasty about fiddling around here.  This is a really complex subject, and we
do it no justice by solving it too quickly.

Anyhow.. I had the idea of implementing a system where you build your character
from scratch.  Similar to some other RPG's I've played, you are given a number
of lets say "skill gems".  With these gems, you wander around the hall of
selection, and bascially purchase your starting character.

So the first thing I would do, is shoot bargaining in the head.  Blam.  No more
"charisma is a useless stat" skill.

Second, I would break melee into multiple weapon diciplines.  I think the best
way to break this up would be by the attacktype, pierce, bludgeon, slash, etc,
though some hackery might be needed for the things that attack with
fire/cold/etc.

Third, I would break magic into it's component disciplines.  Fire, Ice,
Lightning, Turning, Protection.

Finally, each skill can be learned in either minimum, medium, or maximum
"attunement".  As an example, minimum might mean that you gain exp in that
skill at 33% of the normal rate, and your maximum level caps out around 35 or
so in that skill.  medium == 66%, maximum == 100%.

Now, we start the character off with his chosen race, give him some set number
of "skill gems" and let him loose in this virtual shop of character goodies.

In here, he not only purchases which skills he wants, effectively allowing a
player to build his own class to taste, but he buys other things, like his
maximum stats, and starting stats.  For example, a player might start with a
maximum dex of 18, but he could go stand on the altar, and push a button that
lowers his maximum natural dexterity to 17, in exchange for an extra skill gem.

The values for each of the skills would have to be calculated out, and balanced
against one another and the statistics..  but what I envision, would be a
system where a player could choose to be knowledgeable in every skill, but
excellent at none of them, or he could pick a few things he is really good at.
Perhaps one thing he could buy is really high level attunement in a particular
skill, so you essentially get the benefit of wearing a ring of fire and being
attuned Fire permanently.

In this way, we still have the concept of classes, but there is no "you are a
thief, thieves have these set skills, live with it" stigma.  Obviosuly for
newbies, we would still offer a few pre-designed classes, as not everyone would
want to go through the whole character creation maze just to try out the game.

Anyhow.. it's just one of many ideas..  and it needs refinement obviously.. but
any comments?

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net