[CF-Devel] bugs

Preston Crow pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net
Mon Nov 18 13:46:20 CST 2002

I've noticed several bugs while playing at metalforge with gcfclient:

When running, especially when entering a new map, the client often leaves
behind a copy of yourself.  In other words, when you move, the icon for
your character is left on the square you were just on.  My guess is that
this is some sort of race condition where you move to the next square
before the server has told the client everything about your view at your
previous square.  This happens quite frequently.

If you play with split windows, and try to manually enter a command, like:
   'tell Friend Need any help?
it works just fine if your focus is on the info window (the window where
the input text box is), as you would expect.  However, if you do this with
your cursor in any other window (assuming you're using pointer focus, which
I expect most Unix users are), the apostrophe is interpreted correctly, but
the rest of the text seems to be ignored, and the client crashes on the
first space.  This is 100% repeatable.  If you have trouble reproducing it,
I'll rebuild (my binary is stripped) and get a stack trace in gdb.

When you save the window positions and then restart, all the windows shift
down by the height of the titlebar, at least if you're using twm as your
window manager (I haven't tried anything else).  In my case, I just edited
the file by hand to subtract 19 from each y coordinate.  That's not
something we should expect people to need to do.

When I have a container open and want to remove the top item, I
instinctively hit the comma key.  This results in some error message about
the container not fitting in itself instead of moving the item from the
container to my inventory.

After applying a chest, the apply and examine commands ignore the items
that were just revealed.  The workaround is to either click on the item in
the look window or step off and back on the square.

When killing monsters in some pass-through walls (like the undead level of
the training tower in Lake Country), items from slain monsters show up
under the wall.  Such items are ignored by the active pickup mode and can
only be picked up by clicking on the individual objects.

Something seems to be messed up with the Enchant Armour scrolls.  I'm told
that I'm not powerful enough to enchant things that I think I really should
be able to enchant.  This may be related to when I issue the 'skills
command and see some message about having something like 28473 out of 13
improvements (or whatever that message is; I can't bring it up from here).
At the very least, it would help if it would tell me something useful, like
"You must attain level 20 before improving this item."

--PC