[CF-Devel] New Skill System

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Nov 22 02:13:12 CST 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:
  step by step.

      The first step to do is seperating all skills from their

      cathegories, so that every skill has it's very own level.

      I think we have all agreed on this.

      It can be implemented independantly from whatever else may

      follow - and it's really required in order to clear the path

      for further improvements.

  Yes - own level and own exp.  Doing this should be quite easy.

      The second thing to do is removing all skill cathegories

      (or do we like to keep them?). This step already requires

      some serious work, as all occurrences of skill cathegory

      levels need to be replaced by single skill levels.

  I think this goes with #1 above.  If skills have their own exp/level total,
then use of the skill is used instead of the experience categories.

  If you have both exp categories and skills with their own level and exp
totals, I'm not sure how they would mesh at all.

      Third step IMO would be to revise the formulae for

      calculating the "overall level".

Yes - I think we need overall level.

Note that I'm not sure that adding exp for all the skills would make it go too
high too fast - presuming players are not able to gain exp any faster in the new
system, it shouldn't be any different than it is now.

  I think the significant difference will be with skills broken apart, it is
more likely the players different skills won't advance as before (player may
still have 10,000 exp, but instead of being split in 5 skill categories, it is
now spread across 10 skills).

  However, I think there are various ways to deal with this:

1) Retain overall exp total for player.  When player gains exp, skill gets
credited, and some amount gets added to this total.

2) Players overall level is same as playest highest level skill.  In some sense,
this would inspire players to focus on specific skills more (spread your exp
across those 10 skills and your not going to have a very high overall level, and
thus very high hp).

  Could be others.  But ideally, you want something that is quick (execution
wise) when adding exp.  I was thinking something like taking the characters top
3 exp categories, or even doing something like diminishing returns (highest exp
total + .5 * second higest + 0.25 * third highest).  But all these tend to
require examing all the players skill, which wouldn't be a good thing.