[CF-Devel] New Skill System

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Nov 20 03:21:04 CST 2002

A lot of nice and interesting things have been proposed for
the new skill system now. Anyways, I think this is a pretty
big thing and as such we'll have to implement it step by step.

The first step to do is seperating all skills from their
cathegories, so that every skill has it's very own level.
I think we have all agreed on this.
It can be implemented independantly from whatever else may
follow - and it's really required in order to clear the path
for further improvements.

So, the very first thing to do would be creating own exp-
and level-values for each skill. I think this is rather
easy to realize.

The second thing to do is removing all skill cathegories
(or do we like to keep them?). This step already requires
some serious work, as all occurrences of skill cathegory
levels need to be replaced by single skill levels.

Third step IMO would be to revise the formulae for
calculating the "overall level". (I assume we want to
keep the overall level? Removing it would be a nightmare
as it is used in so many ways. Besides, in some cases -
like calculation of hitpoints - an overall measure of
the player's level is needed anyways).
To sum up all the exp from every single skill
won't be the way to go any longer: The overall level
would rise far too quickly.
A while ago Mark already proposed a system where each
skill had a percentage value that defines to which
extent it adds to the overall level. I suggest we could
apply that.

Andreas

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more