[CF-Devel] New Skill System

Preston Crow pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net
Fri Nov 22 10:22:32 CST 2002

About breaking up the magic skill into different spell paths, I think this
is a great idea.  I'm not sure how you would advance in non-combat
categories, but that's a separate issue.

I'm thinking one spell path per element for wizzards, one other for
physical attacks (bombs, bullets, and earth walls), and one for non-combat
spells (how to advance?).

This could be really useful for monsters.  Imagine giving monsters that are
immune to an attack type spell casting only in the corresponding path.  The
path of a spell could even be used in the internal logic to determine
whether a monster wants to use a given wand or scroll (so as to avoid
wasting non-combat magic).

And for players, it would mean that if you want to advance in all the
categories (who doesn't?), you would have to learn to use a range of
skills.

--PC