[CF-Devel] Graphical continutiy in the new maps

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Nov 30 21:16:40 CST 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      1) All trees on the worldmap will be of the small variety.

      2) All trees on the worldmap will be of the big variety.

      I can honestly make arguments either way.  Once you get out of town.. the

      smaller trees really do look better.  Unfortunately, the cobblestone roads

      kinda blow that sense of scale away.  If the roads were more like the river

      tile, it would work better.. but we made them 2 wide for a reason.

  My personal thought is this:

  Both types of trees can exist, they just shouldn't be mixed with each other.

  I like the small tree images because they give a much better feel of there
being a forest, as they tile together well.  However, I really don't think those
images work very good solo or in small quantities.

  Thus, in town, or lown trees scattered here or there, the larger image works
better.  The larger trees might also work better for organized plantings, like
orchards.

  So in summary, for large forest areas, the small images that tile together
nicely look better and should be used.  For towns or where there is just a
couple trees, the big trees probably look better.

  IMO, you can never get the scale in crossfire to really be right.  We still
have two scales - indoor and outdoor.  However, there is only one set of images
for this stuff. IMO, the scale for indoor is probably pretty good in terms of
all the misc objects, doors, monsters, etc.  However, when those objects get
moved to outdoors, the scale is odd (is a titan really the size of several
buildings?  Certainly not).  However, to have two sets of images would be too
much work, and wouldn't be interesting (having items be proper scale for outdoor
would mean that basically you couldn't see them).  So in some sense, I would
probably say do whatever looks better, and worry less about scale being proper
for outdoors, since that can never really happen anyways.