[CF-Devel] terrain and styles

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Oct 1 22:37:18 CDT 2002

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      What's the deal with the terrain folder and the maps in there?  Looks like

      random encounters.  What is this linked to?

  Nothing really.  There used to be a random encounter setting in the config.h
file - if set, then some random portion of grass, woods, etc squares would turn
into random encounters and use those maps.

  This proved really annoying in most cases because you'd be wandering accross
some terrain and suddenly get popped into those encounter maps.  Really annoying
if this happened inside some dungeon (or similiar) map.

      I have started to play with some of the random map styles (adding in a snowy

      floor and decor, adding bears and wolves to the animal monster styles.  Is

      there anything I should be aware of in doing this (like don't do it because

      soandso is in charge of that or suchandsuch depends on that.)  I am trying

      to make them a bit more balanced for the level they represent as well and

      increase the variety a bit.  Things like axing the unicorn from animal

      styles 7-12...

       Is is necessary to have a map for each level (topping out at the highest

      level map, or is is ok to have maps like 1,3,5,9,15,20...) since the

      documentation says that the closest level map will be used.  Any problem

      with adding in some new monster styles?

  Don't think there should be any issues with the above.  PeterM did most/all of
the random map code and maps for that matter, but he hasn't been active for
quite a while, so I can't see it being an issue to fix up some of those things.

  dunno about numbering sequence - I notice all the existing monsterstyles are
in contiguous order.

  Shouldn't be any issue with adding new monster styles.  I would say don't add
anything unless there is enough to warrant a style for it (eg, half a dozen or
more monsters in the style).