[CF-Devel] unique-items question (repost)

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Thu Oct 3 19:02:05 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Mitchell"

I have mostly finished the realestate scripts I was doing to allow buying
and selling of houses but have one outstanding issue. When a lot is sold
or a player quits the lot(s) they own are recycled (the lot file updated
to vacant status, the maps removed from unique-items) but if the lot maps
are in memory (or temp maps or whatever e.g. '

     Lots at Lot

     #@map' ) when it
comes time for the server to release them, the maps are written back to
unique-items (so they aren't getting recycled properly.).  Is there a way
to flush the maps from memory (or tempmaps or whatever) to prevent this?
Even when testing out maps with unique floors, this is a bit of a problem
since you have to shutdown the server then delete the unique-item maps to
refresh your changes.

Also if a player happened to be on a map when it was sold (or less likely,
since the lots are expensive, when the owner quits) it would make this
more of a problem (since the homes are accessable by static exits on the
main maps someone could have wandered onto the entry way - or worse
someone could have been let in by the owner and is wandering around (have
to make sure there is an exit from each map to prevent  players trapping
other players in their homes).  I guess you whould have to check for a
player on the map, move them, and then recycle the map?