[CF-Devel] Money issues

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Sun Oct 27 16:09:51 CST 2002

PLEASE, OH PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT THE "(dis)economy of Scorn" THREAD.

     http://mailman.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-list/2002-August/001037.html

********

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:04:46 -0700 (MST), Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

wrote:

     1)  Greatly reduce the selling price and value of most common goods.  Scrolls,

     wands, staves, potions, armor, weapons.  This allows low level charactrers and

     newbies, which are arguably the only people who use this stuff, to actually buy

     them from shops.

The problem with this, is that newbies get money from selling stuff, hence
you only move the issue.  The low level chars then have less money to spend
on the less expensive items.

     2) Increase the frequency things like books scrolls and whatnot appear on the

     low level maps.

I don't use any attack spell items, because I don't get experience for
them.  Hence, I can't really comment on this.  (It always felt fine to me.)

     3) Make high level stores.

     The third point is the most important.  What we should do, is make a list of

     the towns, and crank the level of the shops in those towns.  That way, more

     high-level goodies will appear there.  It gives mid-level players somehwere to

     spend thier money.  Especially given that high level shops will start to have

     things like random-artifacts pop up, with much greater frequency.  Ideally, the

     highest level shops, should pretty much be completely stocked by

     random-artifacts.

I like this idea, but I would run through the maps in the area as DM, and
mapinfo them to get a feel for the average difficulty level of those maps.
And in the end, I don't see it as having all that much effect.  Artifacts,
(justifiably), are more powerful than anything that can be found in the
stores.  So, what's the point?

The way I play is to get +2 equipment from the stores.  This is easily
within the reach of most newbies the way things stand.  And it's fairly
easy to find.  Once I'm set with mostly +2 equipment, I go adventuring for
artifacts, only buying equipment to replace stuff that got hit with acid.
I then save up for spellbooks, resistance potions, amulets, rings and
enchant armour scrolls.

-Philip