[CF-Devel] Money issues

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Oct 30 00:35:07 CST 2002

     pstolarc at theperlguru.com

      wrote:

     1)  Greatly reduce the selling price and value of most common goods.  Scrolls,

     wands, staves, potions, armor, weapons.  This allows low level charactrers and

     newbies, which are arguably the only people who use this stuff, to actually buy

     them from shops.

      The problem with this, is that newbies get money from selling stuff, hence

      you only move the issue.  The low level chars then have less money to spend

      on the less expensive items.

  I tend to find that big money makers at low levels is all the +1 and +2 (and
occasional +1 of lythander or what not) armor and weapons.  So cost of scrolls
and wands could be reduced without much effect.

  But yeah, if you get less for that +2 armor, means you are just as far away
from buying that +2 shiled (if that's what your after).

  Reducing value (and cost) of armor/weapons does have some advantage in that
money and gems found in the dungeon is now more valuable.  Also, the delta for
buy/sell could be decreased.

      I like this idea, but I would run through the maps in the area as DM, and

      mapinfo them to get a feel for the average difficulty level of those maps.

      And in the end, I don't see it as having all that much effect.  Artifacts,

      (justifiably), are more powerful than anything that can be found in the

      stores.  So, what's the point?

      The way I play is to get +2 equipment from the stores.  This is easily

      within the reach of most newbies the way things stand.  And it's fairly

      easy to find.  Once I'm set with mostly +2 equipment, I go adventuring for

      artifacts, only buying equipment to replace stuff that got hit with acid.

      I then save up for spellbooks, resistance potions, amulets, rings and

      enchant armour scrolls.

  The artifacts being talked about are those from the lib/artifacts file.
Things like artifact cloaks and rings show up rarely in all cases.  So if you
were looking for one, and found one in a shop, you may end up buying it.

  I would note that having larger numbers of some of the more commonly desired
random items could help drain some money.  Often, I know I may be needing pro
fire/cold potions, and would be willing to buy a whole bunch, but the shops
don't have any.

  But that probably won't make much difference for low levels..