[CF-Devel] New weather stuff, and bigmap thoughts

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Tue Oct 29 13:40:38 CST 2002

BTW, I don't know if you ever get on IRC, but if you do.. I'd like to chat with
you about some of this stuff.

On 29-Oct-02 Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I don't know if you read the map list, but I proposed changing the bigworld

      map so that mountain2 bacame mountain4 (no_pass) and wasteland becomes

      'glacier' which is passable (icy graphic tile - in CVS).

      I ran this on my server (ran a find replace program on all world maps except

      Lake Town) the and saw the following effects:

      1. The landscape was much more interesting to navigate as the blocked tiles

      were not all bunched together.

      2. There was a large amount of new territory made available as icefields

      (new winter ecology to develop).

      3. Lots of premade nooks and crannies for encounters ready to be developed

      I really liked it and propose it as a change to the big world map.

      I like the idea that instead of the traditional north-south pole climate

      pattern, that bigworld could be considered a elevation climate pattern (warm

      low, cold high).  Who says the world has to be a globe?

      This could have some effect on your weather if you include the glacier tiles

      as adding to humidity.

Basically, I did use a pole-based climate system.  However, the north and south
poles are the NW and SE corners of the map.  Elevation should play a major role
in temperature, but right now I'm not sure I've tuned it right.

I'm not familiar with your proposal, but I would like to see some snow-capped
mountains up high.  My initial thoughts were that if the game was set to one of
the higher dynamic settings, the poles would freeze solid, creating a small
frozen ice/glacier area for people to play around with.

      4) A side note, but I really think a good streetlamp graphic would be

      I was starting to use the braizer in this context (see the new inns in the

      CVS) and was going to extend this to the cities as well.  This sort of

      lighting is great atmosphere.

I completely agree.  Larger cities might be really well lit, almost daytime at
night, whereas smaller ones might be more sparse, spookier.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS