[CF-Devel] New weather stuff, and bigmap thoughts

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Tue Oct 29 15:20:24 CST 2002

On 29-Oct-02 Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I think this would work well - certain arches could be created to animate

      this way (tree with buds, tree with leaves, tree with bare branches, tree

      with snow) or for the ground (puddles, mud, snow, flowers) and then it would

      be easy for map makers to use them in their maps (or if all is well, to redo

      some of the existing arches to use weather animation.)

      I think some of this kind of graphic is already available with a bit of

      modification.

I'm no artist.. but it seems to me like it might be easier to make a graphic
that could be placed on top of an existing one.  Say for example we wanted
fruit on a tree.  We could make a fruit image, and when placed on top of the
tree, it would appear like there was fruit on it.  Theoretically, a player
could pick that fruit.

My ideal system is that based on the weather over a period of time in a spot,
certain trees would produce certain fruit.  Like if the climate is just right,
the trees might be apple trees.  Players could pick the apples. Ideally, some
trees would be ultra-rare, and would provide things that could be used in
alchemy.  Same with herbs, flowers, mushrooms, etc.

      BTW, does the weather machine send messages to the client?  ('it is

      raining.', 'it is very windy') - this alone does add to the game since

      imagination is pretty powerful tool.

Not yet.  It will, like the "it's lighter, darker" stuff.. but I haven't
written it yet.  I didn't mention it, because it really has no effect on the
game in that sense.

BTW.. I've been fiddling with your snow stuff.. I like the snow images.. I'm
working on trying to get them to work with my system.  Haven't quite figured
out how to melt them though. :)  Great work on those though.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS