[CF-Devel] New weather stuff, and bigmap thoughts

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 29 18:21:25 CST 2002

      > I think this would work well - certain arches could be created to

     animate

      > this way (tree with buds, tree with leaves, tree with bare branches,

     tree

      > with snow) or for the ground (puddles, mud, snow, flowers) and then it

     would

      > be easy for map makers to use them in their maps (or if all is well, to

     redo

      > some of the existing arches to use weather animation.)

      > I think some of this kind of graphic is already available with a bit of

      > modification.

      I'm no artist.. but it seems to me like it might be easier to make a

     graphic

      that could be placed on top of an existing one.  Say for example we wanted

      fruit on a tree.  We could make a fruit image, and when placed on top of

     the

      tree, it would appear like there was fruit on it.  Theoretically, a player

      could pick that fruit.

      My ideal system is that based on the weather over a period of time in a

     spot,

      certain trees would produce certain fruit.  Like if the climate is just

     right,

      the trees might be apple trees.  Players could pick the apples. Ideally,

     some

      trees would be ultra-rare, and would provide things that could be used in

      alchemy.  Same with herbs, flowers, mushrooms, etc.

Not too sure but I would say that both approachs would work well here for
different things.  Some things it would be nice to have a 'weather'
animation just to keep things simple and I believe lighten the load (less
objects) - this would be stuff like forest and ground tiles - buildings,
generic trees,  perhaps.
Some other arches could be placed on top for special objects like the plants
you mention.
This is purely speculation on my part - I have no idea on how this would
play out performance wise.