[CF-Devel] Money issues

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Thu Oct 31 03:20:28 CST 2002

On 30-Oct-02 Mark Wedel wrote:

        I tend to find that big money makers at low levels is all the +1 and +2

      (and

      occasional +1 of lythander or what not) armor and weapons.  So cost of

      scrolls

      and wands could be reduced without much effect.

        But yeah, if you get less for that +2 armor, means you are just as far away

      from buying that +2 shiled (if that's what your after).

        Reducing value (and cost) of armor/weapons does have some advantage in that

      money and gems found in the dungeon is now more valuable.  Also, the delta

      for

      buy/sell could be decreased.

I think Mark described it much better than I did.  I don't mean to drop the
value of everything, just the more common, and useful stuff.  What this would
mean is, that when you find a particularly valulable item, say a ring, where
you get 100plat.. you can afford more scrolls than you could have before.

Also.. if the price of weapons and armor in the shops drop, then a player might
actually be able to afford a decent set of starting equipment with what we give
him to start.  (which, I feel should be more)

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a warrior, to be able to get himself
a decent set of armor, and a nice stick to wave around, to start out with.
When he finishes the newbie training ground.. he should be able to afford a
full set of armor, and quite possibly a +1 sword.

Perhaps the price to identify should be dropped as well.  I mean really.. who
uses those beyond like level 5?

        The artifacts being talked about are those from the lib/artifacts file.

      Things like artifact cloaks and rings show up rarely in all cases.  So if you

      were looking for one, and found one in a shop, you may end up buying it.

        I would note that having larger numbers of some of the more commonly

      desired

      random items could help drain some money.  Often, I know I may be needing pro

      fire/cold potions, and would be willing to buy a whole bunch, but the shops

      don't have any.

        But that probably won't make much difference for low levels..

What it will allow IMHO, is a few things:

1) Low level players may want a particular item, say a special ring, or a
certain cloak, or crown.  They can save up for it, and actually have a shot at
buying it.

2) Mid level players can look for that one particular peice of equipment to
round out thier arsenal.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net