[CF List] New experience system on metalforge

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 7 11:18:44 CDT 2002

I wonder how much of the dislike of cooperative questing comes from the fact
that the combat system and much map design sort of discourages this style of
play.  I wonder if the fixes to monster sensing ranges (now they don't all
rush you from all over the map) will improve this?  I really like the idea
of co-operation, but I can see how play style would favour single player
currently.  Mob is not just a noun in this case, many monsters do not have
an adequate AI to make multiplayer work - they just rush.  Then again I did
get the chance to watch a level 100 paladin playing - he just hid around a
corner and lobbed seeking spells quite a lot.  Since the monsters were all
trapped in rooms, to avoid a mid map pileup, and could not reach him there
was no need for co-operative play there.  Using more varied attack movements
for monsters would be one solution.  I have suggested in the past that an
additional pass condition that would allow flying (creatures and objects) to
pass while blocking ground movement (walking players and monsters) would
encourage a lot more multiplayer fighting (more possible use of tactics and
missile weapons) as well as increasing the possible complexity of maps.