[CF-Devel] Protocol Questions (Server to Client)

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Sun Sep 1 19:02:20 CDT 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 17:29:42 +0200, you wrote:

     All should please note, that the SDL client in CVS is a full working,

     full ported win32 application.

     This included the whole non graphical core, cmd part and socket.

     The SDL client use the unix client core, so all the talking about porting

     and changing is unneeded work - exactly the same is done by me a year ago

     and full working included in the CVS.

     You has just add the new cmd stuff to it, thats all.

     And a small question:

     Why doing a win32 only client again?

     And not SDL or if you don't like it a different multi cross library?

Someone else is planning on doing a win32 only, closed source client.  I'm
not directly involved in that project.  I'm going to continue work on the
SDL client.

I was experiencing some bugs in the network code, and rather than debug the
problems as they were, (and that I probably introduced), I decided it would
be more fruitful to use the common code.  So, I started merging the SDL
client I have with the common files from cfclient &c.  It wasn't too hard,
but I realized that the common files weren't directly portable to win32.
So, I started working on getting them compiled on win32.  I'm starting with
the easy stuff, and if I encounter anything that gives me pause, I'm going
to go to the SDL source for inspiration.

Also, I figured that doing this would beneficial for future work on porting
to GTK 2.0 on win32, if that ever happens.  Or any other choices of
graphics libraries anyone may make.

And I do have plans in mind, in case the SDL client doesn't merge well with
the common code, but that's beyond the scope of this email.

     The SDL client in CVS really needs not much work to be 100% workable with

     all features.

I've gotten quite a few different versions of the SDL client, for various
reasons.  I started with what's in CVS, and got it working, then I got
another version, merged in most of the changes I had made to the first
version, then I got another version, and started merging in the changes
from the first two versions.  This kinda put me off development for a bit,
until I found a way to interest myself in it again.  If anyone wants to see
the mess that is my SDL client project directory, I'll zip it up, but it's
really messy.  I want to get something clean before publicly distributing
it.

-Philip