[CF-Devel] Automake patch available, please test it

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Sun Sep 1 12:08:23 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:43:50PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      >The "make distcheck" builds a dsitribution tarball and checks if it

      >works.

       How does distcheck determine what to pack in the archive?  It appears that

       it just takes everything in the current directory?

     No it doesn't do that. It archives only files described in Makefile.am
and some well-known files (like README or Makefile.{in,am}.

      Distcheck failed on my

      system because there was a gmon.out.

     It is strange... Could you send me the full output of `make distcheck`?

       I'm much more worried about say the doc directories, where there may be

       some left over files from the build process.

     They should be not included. And automake will not archive them unless
there is some error in some Makefile.am or configure.ac

       I suppose the right approach for making archives with this system would be

       to have a completely cvs checkout (done after whatever checkins) to run

      this in. This is slightly more inconvenient than the current archive

      method, which knows to only archive files specifically mentioned.

     automake is supposed to archive even some of autogenerated files which
doesn't need to be kept in CVS (as CVS is intended for developers, who
can rebuild those files).

      >          instead of autoconf.h header. This is done according to

      >          automake documentation ("datadir","libdir","localstatedir"

      >          should be used only in Makefile)

       I personally find this new format annoying.