[CF-Devel] Apartment in Scorn not really missing...

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Sep 2 02:55:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:38:14PM -0500, Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

      The disappearing apartment turned out to be a change in

      world permissions...

      The maps/city/apartments directory has to be world

      writeable...  Since I am running the maps straight out

      of my cvs directory, I need to tweak some permissions.

      Is this normal though?  I would have thought that the

      server saved things to a different place than to the

      master copies of the maps?

      In general, does the server need the maps directories

      and/or files to be writeable?

     No. No files/directories in $datadir should be written by server.
Files which are modified are stored in other directory (under
$localstatedir).

Usually $datadir is /usr/local/share (and maps are in
/usr/local/share/crossfire/maps) and $localstatedir is /var (and files
are written in /var/lib/crossfire/).

It seems it works OK for me. Maybe the "old layout" if used (as
configure option) may break things. Or something has been broken in
sources recently.

Greets,
	Jacek