[CF-Devel] button.c magic mouth suggestions

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Sep 9 06:23:18 CDT 2002

Mark W. wrote:

      Metalforge, with 3 active players, was using about 30 MB.

      The 14,000 objects acount for about 10.5 MB. Size of the

      current object is 760 bytes.

Seriously, I thought these numbers were much higher.
I heard people complain that a populated CF server would eat up
more then 256 MB RAM at times...
But it sounds like your numbers are true (from Metalforge),
so I believe you. I remember that we had some serious memory-leaks
at times, maybe that got me thinking the mem-consumtion is so high.

      > I could update "types.txt" for the JavaEditor and there it will

      > show all the "real" meanings of the fields. [...]

      You can hide it from mapmakers, but the problem is for developers.

      More than one bug has been because a developer used a field they

      that was free but was in fact overloaded with something else.

      Is that extra hassle/debugging worth the  extra few MB? probably not.

If memory is not an issue, then you are right.

      > However, the patch from Kurt already exists. The solution

      > with flags does not. [...]

      At some point, I think we have to say to some things 'it should be

      done the right way, not the fast way'.

Yes, you are right of course. Maybe I was a bit over-enthusiastic
because I really like what Kurt has done. Sorry.

      I'll do the appropriate changes - it may just be a few days

      before it gets done.

That's very nice, but I don't want to make you feel like it is
your "duty" to work on this now. Please do it only when you
want to do it. I can live without it too.

AndreasV

     http://www.gmx.net