[CF-Devel] new cut 1.4.0 and realestate idea

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 17 09:02:42 CDT 2002

        As a side note, the preferred content for e-mail is text only, not

     text/html

      combinations.

     Ya, I forget to set the mail client sometimes when I'm hopping around.
Sorry.

      > Three problems I can see so far -

      > 1. you have to wait for the map to reset before you can see or enter

      > your new pad.

        Presuming here you mean the parent map (/city/city), this is a bit of a

      problem - difficult to know when, if any, that map may reset.

     Ya this is the biggest problem.  I could also create a temporary exit to the
new maps the same way I create a 'deed' but don't know yet if I can create
objects on maps in memory if the player is not on that map.  Also what if
someone is standing on the lot?  That is the most complicated bit.  I
suppose it would be a good idea to only put lots on less travelled maps and
perhaps create a portal to send the player to their new home (since they
could leave with no problem).

      > anyone have thoughts on this?  Am I missing anything vital?  Someone

      > have a better plan?

        How is the map exit updated?  How is the ownership of these maps done?

      thought some of the idea of these lots would be that only the owner could

     do

      something, yet anyone could visit them - more like the common apartment

     building.

When a lot is purchased (for a hefty price), three thngs happen:
1.a 'deed' is issued using the activatorname and the lot number, which
produces a unique object to check for.
2. the parent map is updated by writing an exit on the 'lot' on the map
file,
3. the template maps are read, the inventory checkers and exits are
rewritten based on the 'deed' and on the information in the 'lots' file (for
the main exit),  and a directory containing the modified copys of the maps
is placed in the player's directory.

The exits to the new home are updated by rewriting the parent map (to:
/playerdir/player/housedir/), the maps are public with unique floors
(mostly) and use inventory checkers to give access to some areas (for
display cases and such).
The homes are public access by invitation, the owner would have to let
people in and many areas would be accessable only by the deed holder.

        Note that no one on the crossfire development team (that I know of at

     least)

      is actually responsible for determining what OS's/kits crossfire gets

     bundled

      with - rather, someone who works on that distribution decides to grab it.

     So we

      don't have a lot of control on that.

- Yes, of course - but I looked over the Sorcery crossfire 'spell' and
probably can with a bit of help/thought make the proper spells for this (if
this distro is gonna be around for a bit).  By the way the default package
format for this was bz2, but it should switch over to go for the gz files if
those are no longer available.  This was as more by way of community
interest than anything else.