[CF-Devel] new cut 1.4.0 and realestate idea

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Sep 18 01:25:15 CDT 2002

     pstolarc at theperlguru.com

      wrote:

      On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:15:40 -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

      On a slightly related note, this idea cropped up in conversation.  It's not

      my idea, but here it is anyway.

      A unique keyed exit.  Similar to the per-player unique maps, but instead,

      per keyed object unique maps.

      In practice, this would work by:

      If the player has no key, the go to the "guild store" map.  In the guild

      store map, they buy a key.  Then they leave the guild store, and re-enter

      the same exit.  This takes them to their new guild.  In the guild, they can

      buy extra keys to this map, and if they give one of these keys to someone

      else, they can enter the same map.

      It may be too complex. But it would resolve the running out of real-estate

      issue which currently afflicts the guilds, and which would affect any other

      player castle idea.

  I'm taking it that this means there could be many 'different' guilds linked
off the same exit.  Eg, a player does that above, but a new player decides he
doesn't like the people in that guild, so goes to the shop and buys the guild
key, and now a second guild is at the same location.

  One obvious question is - what do you do if a player has multiple keys that
apply for that exit?

  On a more basic principle, the idea of per player unique maps is a bit odd -
its necessary for convenience sake, but doesn't make a lot of realistic sense.

  Its unclear how many guilds/buildings there really should be.  If you look at
the maps-bigworld, running out of real estate should presumably not be much an
issue - that world is a lot bigger - while I suppose it could become congested,
I think the main cause of that would be the same player buying up all sorts of
buildings - something to prevent that from happening might be more in order.