[CF-Devel] new cut 1.4.0 and realestate idea

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Wed Sep 18 02:42:12 CDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:25:15 -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:

       I'm taking it that this means there could be many 'different' guilds linked

     off the same exit.  Eg, a player does that above, but a new player decides he

     doesn't like the people in that guild, so goes to the shop and buys the guild

     key, and now a second guild is at the same location.

Exactly.

<snipped some relevant stuff, as I want to discuss things in a broader sense>

       Its unclear how many guilds/buildings there really should be.  If you look at

     the maps-bigworld, running out of real estate should presumably not be much an

     issue - that world is a lot bigger - while I suppose it could become congested,

     I think the main cause of that would be the same player buying up all sorts of

     buildings - something to prevent that from happening might be more in order.

I'm not sure if this particular solution is the best, but the issue I'm
trying to address is this:

There are n guilds.  All n guilds get bought by different sets of players.
Time passes.  The original purchasers of the guilds lose interest in
crossfire, and stop playing.  Now, you're stuck with a bunch of locked up
guilds, and nobody accepting new members into the guilds.  This issue is
further pressed by individual players buying guilds for their own personal
use using throw-away characters as the "other two players".
(Is this an issue?  Is it one worth addressing?)

This solution would also address the (possible) problem of the landscape
being littered with abandoned lots, in the real estate idea side of this
thread.  But, as you said, there is a lot more space in maps-bigworld.
(Is this an issue?  Is it one worth addressing?)

-Philip