[CF List] The 'dis'economy of crossfire

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Mon Sep 2 08:38:03 CDT 2002

Christoph Bergemann wrote:

      [...] you should remember that levelling is one of the

      motivations to keep on playing.

Exactly. And this is also the reason why we so much need to
increase the level gaps. A maxed-out player lacks motivation
to keep on playing. We lenghthen the process, so people can
enjoy the game for a longer time.

      If it takes me an eternity to get from 100 to 101 most people

      probably wouldn't play further, which is certainly not our hope.

First, as Mark said: It won't take an eternity. Even if it did
take too long, we could balance it by creating high-level
maps/monsters with more experience in them.
I'd estimate that this will hardly be necessary though.

Second, aside from leveling, there's also the aspect of
players improving their equipment. This will not be spoiled
in any way, but rather get better: There is more time
to look for low/medium equipment before your level is so
high that all you need and want is the top stuff.

      About monster experience: I [don't ?] think if level gaps are to be

      increased monster experience needn't be reduced, [...]

In my opinion the amounts of monster's exp is not terribly
broken, it is just the level gaps being too low.

Of course not all monsters have balanced exp, but a lot
depends how those monsters are put in the maps.
A trapped Jessy placed at the entrance of a map is certainly
way too easy to kill for 2 million exp. OTOH, in "wiztower"
or "nine gates of hell", the Jessys are placed after a long
line of other monsters. So the experience from the Jessys
is like a reward for getting there.
Mark's point about different races/classes applies as well.

After all, I feel we have a common consens for increasing
the experience gaps.
I am totally convinced that it would improve the game.
Unfortunately, a few players will sure be upset when
overnight their level has decreased. :-)
Neverthless, IMHO we should do it. We do it with the
best intentions and the change will pay off in the long run.

AndreasV

     http://www.gmx.net