[CF List] Player building (was Re: Castles and houses)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Sep 2 15:54:37 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:
<snip>

      Believe me, a command-line editor for Crossfire maps is

      outright impossible. I mean you can create one, sure,

      but it won't work.

  If 'in map' design was really desirable, it would probably make more sense to
add a facility for players to to be able to upload maps.

  How you charge the players for those maps get tricky.  Presumably, this
feature would only be available to wiz players or the like.

  Of course, why go to that effort of doing it in game?  Why not just say 'make
a map with the editor, and send it to ...'

  Your point was one reason why I suggested that if you buy a house, it at least
has the basic layout (walls, staircases, etc), as doing those with in game gets
tricky.

  While I think it may be somewhat possible to make a basic interface to create
maps, I have a feeling that anyone using it would get quickly frustrated.

  I have a feeling that we have gotten caught in creeping features to this idea.
  The original idea of people being able to buy residences isn't that hard to
implement.  The idea to allow some customizations isn't very hard easier.  But
the idea of being able to create an entire map becomes much more complicated.

  IMO, this is mostly because of what details a properly made dungeon needs -
monsters, treasures, items, gates, buttons, etc, which require trickier support
- in many cases, much trickier.

  That is probably one major difference between MUDS and crossfire - as said,
MUDS are created from the inline tools, as the layout can pretty easily be
abstracted, and being able to 'merge in' dungeons may be tricky.

  Crossfire is very different - each map is largely standalone.  As has been
seen, if a user can design some maps, and except for the linking into the other
maps to make them accessible, these maps don't need/rely on any other maps in
any way.