[CF List] The 'dis'economy of crossfire

Christoph Bergemann mathwizard at gmx.de
Mon Sep 2 16:05:04 CDT 2002

Hi,

Ok, I agree to the idea of increasing level gaps.

Though the discussion is becoming a bit offtopic I think it is kind of
useless that a player can get every skill just by buying a scroll.
Remember that a lot of work would have to be done to become a magician,
yet this can be learned from just a scroll without taking any time - from
the hero's virtual viewpoint. One obvious way would be to allow a hero to
learn just one skill per level (if his level should be 110 maybe every few
million exp), which would then be attained at the end of that level.
Somewhat similar to the way in which ancient para elemental's residues
change a dragon's metabolism. This would make low level players think of
what skill they should learn at their actual level and prevent level 10
players having every skill. I imagine this might be a not too difficult to
implement first solution.
A better solution would on the long run be to introduce some guilds for
the various professions. There might for example be the alchemists' guild,
which one can join for some fee (higher than scroll price), thereby
attaining the rank of an apprentice of alchemy. Now he might have to
fulfill some quests - maybe like the castle Scorn quests - to rise the
guild and learn some skills (to be introduced) related to alchemy. A
player might be locked from joining into other guilds while he has only
some low rank in another (like he can be apprentice of only one guild at a
time).

Regards,
  Christoph Bergemann

--
  "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards,
    for they are subtle and quick to anger."