[CF List] JavaEditor JRE problem (was RE: castles and guilds)

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 4 02:26:53 CDT 2002

Christoph Bergemann wrote:

      Though being completely OT, my JRE doesn't seem to support .jar files

      (using Linux and got java 1.1.8 and jre1.3.1), what is wrong?

      (Cannot use JavaEditor therefore)

I can't be sure, but I suspect the java version 1.1.8 somehow
gets executed when you attempt running the jar.
1.1.8 is of course too old and wouldn't get the editor
running in any case.

Hence, what you may try first is execute the jar with the
full path to jre1.3.1. Like this:

      /usr/.../java/jre1.3.1/bin/java -jar CFJavaEditor.jar

Java runtime environment 1.3 should always "support" jar
files and get the editor running. I for myself have been
using the editor in linux with java 1.3 for a good while.

In case your version of the CFJavaEditor itself is not current,
it can't hurt the update that one and try again, even
though this will most likely not be the source of your problem.
See <

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~avogl/CFJavaEditor/

     >.

If that fails, you should try to download and install a full
java environment of version 1.4 (or 1.3 if that is easier for
some reason). See <

     http://java.sun.com/j2se/

     >.
You can replace the 1.1.8 version by the new downloaded version.
If you manage to do that, I'd be most surprised if it still doesn't work.
In case you have troubles with the java installation you
can ask for support on IRC in one of the linux- or java-help
channels. If you prefer the #crossfire channel you probably
will find help there too.

AndreasV

     http://www.gmx.net