[CF-Devel] Fw: Diamonds

Wed Apr 16 15:51:11 CDT 2003

On 15-Apr-03 Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Now it is interesting to hear the mention of deconstructing objects.  This

      was my primary reason for bringing this up in the first place - a consistant

      material system would allow item creation and destruction with relative ease

      and with a bit of predicatbility, it would also make simpler such stuff as

      mining and logging and tanning.  This is the main reason I thought that

      having material objects in the arches would be better than a list (aside

      from the fact that you wouldn't need to change the server code to add a new

      material, and this is the way other stuff is handled).  It would also

      simplify mixing skills with materials (tanning, smithing, boyer...) if there

      were a more consistant (and I think object based) material system.

Thats basically what the item creation code does.  The basic concept is that
you gather together a pile of raw gold, and say "build longsword" and with a
little fiddling, it makes a gold longsword with your smithery skill.

The problem being.. that it's not enabled because:

1) There are no images/arches for the build facilities.

2) There are no images/arches for many of the raw materials.

3) There are no images/arches for the tools.

4) There is no image/arch for the destructor device.  Writing code for a
destructor would probably be trivial.

But I have tested it fairly well.. and it works, and it's fun to play with.

Once it was in place.. it would also be pretty trivial to do something like
making mountains made out of metal, so a random metal was chosen for them.
Mining could look at the metal that was chosen randomly, and mine out a chunk
of it.  Trees could obviously do the same thing for wood.  Various hides would
be direct forms of raw material, as would some monster parts.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS