[CF-Devel] Fw: Diamonds

Wed Apr 16 01:42:31 CDT 2003

  Well, I think Todd has some valid points.

  With a material strings, the bitmask material really makes no sense.

  I don't remember how much discussion went on with the material type stuff, and
how much of that was in mail and what might have been done in irc.

  That said, I agree setting the material string in the archetypes makes a lot
more sense.  It also makes it much easier to deal with special images (eg,
someone could make a gold chain mail image for example, and the gold chain mail
arch would use it.  To do something like that with the current system would
require some really ugly hacks).

  The disadvantage of this is that it means a bunch more arcs, and a lot of
updating of the treasure lists.

  It should be noted that for maps, there has never been a good way for a map
maker to select a random generation of items, other than selecting an
appropriate treasure list (eg, there is no way to say 'I want this to be a club
of lythander or club of gnarg.'  Or something like 'I want this to either be a
+3 sword, +2 plate, or potion of strength'.  Some of that can sort of be faked
out by by using teleporters/gates/spikes/boulders type of thing, but there is no
  simple way to currently do that.

  I'd personally be opposed to the idea of arch's have information for material
that is randomly selected.  I think that wouldn't really fix much, and your left
with the same hacks of trying to figure out what bonuses that iron sword should
have instead of a steel sword, etc.  At least if you have seperate archs, you
can also set up relevant bonuses.

  But making them all be unique objects opens a new can of worms - why do that
instead of using the existing artifacts file/code?  Or maybe conversely, if
we're going to make new artifacts for all of them, why have the artifacts file
at all - why not just have everything be its own object.

  I personally think the artifacts file is the way to go.  In that, you can
change the material type.  You can adjust values specific to types (eg, shields
may be made of one of these 3 materials.  As an interesting point, maybe the
items of mass should be made of lead as an example).  And you can get these
changes in the game without having to manage a bunch of archetypes and new
treasure lists.  I did communicate to Tim that this is what he should have done
with the material code when he wrote it - unfortunately, he did not do so.

  As for naming, that is a bit simpler - really, the name of the object should
determine what it is called.

  EG, the code should never include the material name in the object name.  If we
think the material name is important, the object should so be renamed (eg,
spruce bow instead of just bow).  So things like coins would just have the name
'gold coin'.

  Thus, things liek the example above of the 'of mass' items work out fine.  you
really don't need to say it is a 'lead plate mail of mass'.  Just 'plate mail of
mass' would work fine.  For some things, you may decide to add a moniker (eg,
mithril high shield).  Extending the artifacts file (and code) to do that would
be easy.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com