[CF-Devel] Again with the Lore

Tue Apr 15 11:45:43 CDT 2003

I think that we are getting somewhere with this.  Two things I have been
thinking.

I would suggest using @ as the delimiter instead of something like --#-- or
another invention as this is consistant with the message field for npc
speaking and I am a fan of consistancy.  So you would see:

lore
@The llama is a quadraped.
@Llamas are not frogs.
endlore

lore
@1The llama is a quadreped.
@1Llamas are not frogs.
@2Llamas sometimes lay golden eggs.
endlore

I am not sure that assigning value by number is better than simply assigning
value by position since it will not be consistant across arches (one person
my set resistance info at @3 another at @5 for example.)  I would argue that
simply weighting the data according to their position would be alright since
more interesting creatures would have more lore lines attributed to them.
Another option would be to put the weight value (as a percent?) after the @
so you would have:

lore
@60The llama is a quadreped.
@30Llamas are not frogs
@9Llamas sometimes lay golden eggs.
@1Llamas explode instantly when you say 'Ni'.
endlore

It doesn't really matter to me however and I would go along with whatever
the consensus is on this.

As for the map lore - I do agree that a message file should be used to house
information on quests and landmarks and other mappish information, (I didn't
think to load this when the map is loaded for example since the lore should
be available before the map is used presumably) but I would like to suggest
a lore field in maps anyway and script that can be manually run which will
collect this info and feed it into this message file.  For a standard map
set this will only be required to be generated in the same way as the arches
are collected (and with the same frequency as the arches are collected in
CVS), and the messages file will ship with the server the same way the
collected arches do now.   It is simply a way to encourage the generation of
lore during map design, and a way to modularize the data so that servers
with custom maps do not have to manually add or remove the data.  You've
probably guessed by now I'm big on the seperation of server and design.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com