[CF-Devel] Again with the Lore

Wed Apr 16 01:24:09 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I think that we are getting somewhere with this.  Two things I have been

      thinking.

      I would suggest using @ as the delimiter instead of something like --#-- or

      another invention as this is consistant with the message field for npc

      speaking and I am a fan of consistancy.  So you would see:

  Well, what the seperator is isn't really important.  Just as long as it is
something other than a newline.

      I am not sure that assigning value by number is better than simply assigning

      value by position since it will not be consistant across arches (one person

      my set resistance info at @3 another at @5 for example.)  I would argue that

      simply weighting the data according to their position would be alright since

      more interesting creatures would have more lore lines attributed to them.

      Another option would be to put the weight value (as a percent?) after the @

      so you would have:

      lore

      @60The llama is a quadreped.

      @30Llamas are not frogs

      @9Llamas sometimes lay golden eggs.

      @1Llamas explode instantly when you say 'Ni'.

      endlore

  This might be more interested, combined with ranking them.  Thus you could do
something like have useful information show up even in low level books, but more
likely to show up in higher level books.

  I personally would remove the idea of a percentage, and just have it a
weighting.  If the person decides to have the values total up to 100, that is
fine.  If someone instead has them total to 23, that also works.  It just
something with a ranking of 3 would be 3 times more likely to show up than
something with a ranking of 1.

  Your point about people using different difficulty for ranking is valid.
However, the converse is that maybe you have something you want to have 20
different lore entries for, but maybe the info should be basic.

      As for the map lore - I do agree that a message file should be used to house

      information on quests and landmarks and other mappish information, (I didn't

      think to load this when the map is loaded for example since the lore should

      be available before the map is used presumably) but I would like to suggest

      a lore field in maps anyway and script that can be manually run which will

      collect this info and feed it into this message file.  For a standard map

      set this will only be required to be generated in the same way as the arches

      are collected (and with the same frequency as the arches are collected in

      CVS), and the messages file will ship with the server the same way the

      collected arches do now.   It is simply a way to encourage the generation of

      lore during map design, and a way to modularize the data so that servers

      with custom maps do not have to manually add or remove the data.  You've

      probably guessed by now I'm big on the seperation of server and design.

  Given the complexity of doing this (extending the map header, writing a script
to collect it, etc), I'd rather just have people put it in the messages file by
hand.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com