[CF-Devel] lore

Tue Apr 8 19:40:44 CDT 2003

Ok I want to run this up the flagpole - a proposal for the lore field.
The lore - endlore bit is in place now and I was playing with entering
in some stuff and fell into the following routine:

lore
The wolf is a common animal found in forests throughout the land.
Wolves are likely to flee if injured.
The wolf has a keen sense of smell and excellent hearing.
endlore

lore
The behemoth is a very large creature, but quite quick.
The behemouth can be identified by their size and long, black, hairy,
poision-dripping hides.
Behemoths are very poisionous.
Behemoths have a slight resistance to magic.
Behemoths are immune to fear based attacks.
endlore

lore
Banshee are the undead spirits of elven maidens who have been murdered.
It is hard to say which is more dangerous, banshee cries or banshee claws.
The scream of the banshee can scare you stiff.
The touch of a banshee can paralyze.
The Banshee sees only the face of her murderer, but her other senses are
very sharp.
Banshee are very resistant to both magic and physical harm.s often
endlore

You can see the idea here I think. Enter a series of short informative
statements increasing in value.  On the other end when using this info
to generate books or put words in peoples' mouths, you can harvest this
information in a way that weights the lines.
Why bother?  Well it would make the information more interesting -
rather than having a paragraph spit out about something every time - you
get different stuff in a semi random way - you get common lore and more
rare lore.  Also it is easy to add in stuff one line at a time instead
of writing a little exposition - so more people might do it.  Also you
can easily pepper in some hints for recipies or what ever by inserting
some lines.

I could easily add in a line for behemoth hide at the end of the list:
Interestingly enough, the behemoth's oily hide can be used in making
clothing that resists poision.

I also like the idea that it keeps things in the arches rather than in a
seperate file - which makes it easier to customize things.
It would work for most arches - spells, items, monsters...

I also like the idea of doing this for maps too.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com