[CF-Devel] lore

Tue Apr 8 23:58:52 CDT 2003

Todd wrote:

      Ok I want to run this up the flagpole - a proposal for the lore field.

      The lore - endlore bit is in place now and I was playing with entering

      in some stuff and fell into the following routine:

      lore

      The wolf is a common animal found in forests throughout the land.

      Wolves are likely to flee if injured.

      The wolf has a keen sense of smell and excellent hearing.

      endlore

  I like this idea a lot.  A few notes:

  Rather than each piece of lore be denoted by end of line, I'd suggest
something like:

lore
--1--
The behemoth is a very large creature, but quite quick.
--2--
The behemouth can be identified by their size and long, black, hairy,
poision-dripping hides.
--3--
Behemoths are very poisionous.
--4--
Behemoths have a slight resistance to magic.
--5--
Behemoths are immune to fear based attacks.
endlore

  The use of --<num>-- is just an arbitrary value - any unique string would
work.  I like the idea of enclosing some number to denote 'how good' the
information is - thus you could have lots of pieces of knowledge at the same
'difficulty' level.

  I just think using a newline is dangerous - someone is bound to look at some
point and say 'boy - that 200 character line is messy - I'll break it up into
more reasonable sized lines', and not realize that this would break anything.

  Doing this for maps is more difficult - there is no archetype entries for all
the maps.  And while you could encapsulate it in the map headers, the program
won't know about those until they are accessed.  Information on maps should
probably remain in the messages file.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com