[CF-Devel] Fw: Diamonds

Sun Apr 13 11:30:17 CDT 2003

El Domingo, 13 de Abril de 2003 02:36, Todd escribió:

      I am going to jump on this comment because I think it related to the new

      material types and this material type thing has been bothering me for a

      bit.  Sorry Karla, I can't give you an answer but I do have a question

      to ask.

      I'm not an experienced programmer either but there seems to be a lot of

      issues with the new material types and I am not sure that it is worth it

      to keep on just fixing them as has been happening.   I understand the

      reason for the new materials was for expanding the item creation/alchemy

      system (yes?), but there has to be a better way to do this with the old

      system of material types, no?  I was pretty happy having the bitmask

      material type and not having these problems with item matching, stacking

      and weird materials for common objects.  Could not the old system be

      expanded to include more mateirals or the old material bitmask system is

      replaced with something more like this new thing?  I think that this

      kind of thing would be better to manage in the arches no?  Make an arch

      for gold chainmail rather than add a random material type to the

      chainmail arch.

      Plus I do not like to see the material type in the name, 'pine arrow' or

      'dog-skin leather armour' is not necessary for me to know.  If the item

      is something that does have a material in the name anyway (like

      DragonScale Plate Armor or Golden sheild) then it is usually otherwise

      special too and has a diffrent archetype and properties.  Otherwise it

      is just Plate Armor or a shield.  Only when I examine something, eat

      someting, when it is valued, when it gets burned up or reacts to a

      spell, or otherwise has unique properties do I need to know what it is

      made of.  Now there may be a good reason for doing things this way - but

      from my view (I admit it is a limited view) it seems unweildy and there

      are too many special cases (like mithril and leather armours - or stone

      axes?) and patchy type fixes to make it work.  Is there a solution to be

      had, it seems like there should be a better way to do this - is there

      even a problem anymore and I missed it being fixed?  I'm not against the

      idea in theory, but the execution seems to be a problem here.  Maybe

      it's just me that doesn't get it?

I post a message about the same some time ago I just repost some parts of it
now (yes I'm lazy :-) :
(talking about ideas to steal in the game IVAN)
 Items have 2 material, one is the head/tip/blade or the main material of the
item. The appereance of the item changes if you change the material of the
item (you can wish for scrolls of change material)
 The wood/metal items should only display the metal part name .. no no more
spruce axes.
 Also it will be nice to limit the number of wooden materias .. what the it's
the diference if I use an oak arror or a spruce one ?
wooden arrows (only sharpened wood , no tip) bambu arrows (no tip) and metal
ones (wooden with metal tip : copper, iron ...)  will be nice.
A percent of the item made of the main material should be included so .. an
arrow have 20% base tip weigth that changes if material change and a 80% from
unimportant material. Same for axes, spears, maces, hammers, horned helmets
(the horns are mere addonament and usually allways made from ... horn!!!),
etc ...
 Or a second material to every item could be added ..

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com