[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Mon Apr 21 23:57:02 CDT 2003

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 20-Apr-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

      This was done because I presume if you are making a "gold sword" specifically,

      you have allready taken into account the effect of the gold on the sword.  It

      would be silly to wieght adjust all the gold nuggests based on the iron->gold

      adjustment.. they were allready the right weight for gold.

      The simple solution is.. if it's made of mithril.. adjust for it when you make

      the object.

  Yeah, but that is easier said than done. (well, OK, it isn't really hard, but
requires a map maker to read the materials file, see the adjustments to make,
calculate those adjustments, etc).

  OTOH, as Todd points out, this is no different than the random artifact code.
  If you want to make a dagger of Gnarg, you can, but you need to do the
adjustments on your own.

  IMO, neither of these are actually good solutions - making maps should
generally be easy, and not require map makers to read the materials and
artifacts file.

      My concept was to make a magical device.. like a big forge of some sort.  You

      can only make objects from a raw material (type 73 INORGANIC).  If you had

      collected a pile of oak spears.. you put them in the device, and pay your

      refinery fee, and poof, out pops a given amount of oak boards.  The given

      amount could be fiddled with.. for example, you could pay extra to increase the

      accuracy of the refinery, or pay the minimum, and have it give you a normal

      amount.  (that being, say you put 50kg of spears into the refinery, it would

      normally spit out between 1-25kg of raw oak.  you could pay more to increase

      the odds, as an idea)

      So yes.. a player could dump a gold armour into the refinery, but it would cost

      him a bundle of money to convert it to raw gold. So there would be no monetary

      benefit.

  This idea seems a little odd - in 'real life', it isn't all that difficult to
convert gold chainmail to liquid gold.  Well, more to the point of metals, most
likely to do anything interesting with them, your 'tools' need to be able to
melt them, so in practice, you'd break off enough pieces of that gold armor to
melt down to do what you want.

  However, I don't have any big issue with the above method - presuming the
converter methods are somehow appropriate.

      Its not unreasonable to have yew clubs.. just that it gives the dam bonus is

      possibly wrong.  This could be solved with the current system without alot of

      work, and without doing something ugly.  The current materials file could

      easily be extended to have something similar to the only-for in archetypes.

      Whatever way you wanted to go with it..

  I agree that yew clubs isn't wrong, its just doing the extra damage is a bit
odd.  And I'm sure people could come up with other examples (would a steel
hammer really be much better than a magic hammer, for example?  Given the
material has it lighter, it should probably do less damage in fact).  These are
minor issues, but just oddities which sort of bug me.

      IMHO it is counter-intuitive to have the system apply bonuses to items I have

      manually set to being of a specific material.  If I make a mithril magic

      sword.. I don't want the system auto-changing that on me.  The mapmaker should

      know what he is doing.

  Well, yes and no.  If the map maker knows sufficiently what he is doing, he
can then clear the flag which says 'adjust this items bonuses based on material
at load time'.  If, however, the hope is you have non developers making maps, it
should be easy for them to make mithril shields and not need to read the
materials file to see what the appropriate bonuses/penalties are (and in fact,
since the server isn't a required part of making maps, very possible map makers
won't even know what this is).

  Now I suppose if materials are turned into archetypes, the editor could be a
little more clever about this and apply the template on its own.  I'd personally
consider it a low priority for the editor to be able to parse yet another file
format (materials)

      I disagree there.  My idea for "mining" was that we set the materialtype for

      forests to "wood", so it randomizes wood types for the forests.  You could go

      to an area of forest, and harvest it for awhile, and get out the type of wood

      that forest was made of.

  IMO, this might make things too easy.  Given the big world map, even with the
rare woods, you'd probably be able to find them with just a little bit of
hunting (I mean there are forests out there with hundred of spaces of trees all
together).

  I don't actually have a good solution to this, however.  It makes some amount
of sense that type of trees grow based on where they are.  However, the counter
is that if out of that 100 spaces, there is only 1 or 2 which are different,
that doesn't become very interesting to play.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com