[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Mon Apr 21 02:47:29 CDT 2003

On 20-Apr-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

      Todd wrote:

        If an object has a generic material, then when it is loaded (created), the

      various adjustments happen.  Thus, as the code stands now, if you don't set

      the

      materialname, a random material is chosen, and adjustments are made.

        However, if you set the materialname, the loader presumes that the

      adjustments

      have already been made, and thus does nothing.

This was done because I presume if you are making a "gold sword" specifically,
you have allready taken into account the effect of the gold on the sword.  It
would be silly to wieght adjust all the gold nuggests based on the iron->gold
adjustment.. they were allready the right weight for gold.

The simple solution is.. if it's made of mithril.. adjust for it when you make
the object.

        The wood/non metal materials do pose some issues.  OTOH, it also depends on

      how the creation is working - if magic is involved, not too hard to believe

      that

      you could turn 20 arrows into a spear or whatever.  However, if your just

      working at a workbench, that isn't feasible - in that case, you'd have to

      determine if the donor item exceeds the material requirements for a new item

      (eg, a spear could be turned into some number of arrows, but not vice versa).

      But to do this, you'd need some tag in the material that says this is a

      material

      that can be reconstituted or not.

My concept was to make a magical device.. like a big forge of some sort.  You
can only make objects from a raw material (type 73 INORGANIC).  If you had
collected a pile of oak spears.. you put them in the device, and pay your
refinery fee, and poof, out pops a given amount of oak boards.  The given
amount could be fiddled with.. for example, you could pay extra to increase the
accuracy of the refinery, or pay the minimum, and have it give you a normal
amount.  (that being, say you put 50kg of spears into the refinery, it would
normally spit out between 1-25kg of raw oak.  you could pay more to increase
the odds, as an idea)

So yes.. a player could dump a gold armour into the refinery, but it would cost
him a bundle of money to convert it to raw gold. So there would be no monetary
benefit.

The workbench is just where you convert your raw oak into a spear.  To make a
spear, you might need a lathe (work area) and a carving tool.  Certain carving
tools are of higher quality than others, allowing you to make the more powerful
spears.  Special tools could cost a boatload of money, or be quest objects.
(Bobs magical swordsmithing hammer)

        I basically agree - there is no reason not to enumerate all the obvious

      material types.  If you don't want to have material for ruby, diamond,

      emerald,

      pearl, etc, at least a more general 'gemstone' or 'crystal' category could be

      workable.

I only didn't do it because I didn't want to flood the system with materials
until I had time to fiddle.  It's trivial to make a material that never comes
up randomly with the current system, to prevent things like a diamond stoneaxe.

        And only have yew show up in bows and crossbows.  If I want it to show up

      in

      clubs, I could make an appropriate entry, but not give it a 'dam 2' value.

      But

      given the current implementation, there is no way to do that, and I consider

      that wrong.

Its not unreasonable to have yew clubs.. just that it gives the dam bonus is
possibly wrong.  This could be solved with the current system without alot of
work, and without doing something ugly.  The current materials file could
easily be extended to have something similar to the only-for in archetypes.
Whatever way you wanted to go with it..

        See note above - you need some way to know that this is the first time the

      server has seen that item, and thus is the time to apply the material

      benefits/penalties to the item.

IMHO it is counter-intuitive to have the system apply bonuses to items I have
manually set to being of a specific material.  If I make a mithril magic
sword.. I don't want the system auto-changing that on me.  The mapmaker should
know what he is doing.

      Well I don't want walls or buildings or other such landscape features to

      have material in general, nor forests or mountains or swamps (I can see

      having special tree or mountain arches that would, like a mine arch,

      also there is code already for random plant placement so mineral

      placement is simply a few lines to this.)   This is along the lines of

      secret passages - Players shouldn't be expected to try every terrain

      square to see if it breaks burns or gives milk.

      Monsters or other living things should not have material types.

        to an extent, I agree.  However, if you allow random harvesting of

      materials,

      how do you do that?  I should be able to go into a forest and chop down a

      tree

      and get wood, but what wood would I get?

I disagree there.  My idea for "mining" was that we set the materialtype for
forests to "wood", so it randomizes wood types for the forests.  You could go
to an area of forest, and harvest it for awhile, and get out the type of wood
that forest was made of.

Obviously buildings shouldn't be harvestable.. but things like mountains could
be minable, woods cuttable, etc.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net