[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Tue Apr 22 03:07:04 CDT 2003

On 22-Apr-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        Of course, the curent material stuff doesn't work great for that either -

      all

      the alloys are never really mined - you'd never actually mine 'steel ore' for

      example, but rather mine iron and turn it into steel in your blast furnace.

        But thats yet another can of worms.

Not really.. think alchemy.  Perhaps certain metals cannot be mined at all.
You simply mine the components and alchemy them together.  It's no different
from making true lead or mercury.  I assume bronze and steel would work like
this.  That much is trivial to implement.

It also leaves the option open to have certain materials that never show
up randomly.  Say for an example we make a new alloy, umm.. lets call it
markurite. :)  The metal has special properties which make it desireable for
certain uses, say it makes nice boots, or whatever.  We have a formulae for it,
and if people want to make a pair of boots, they have to go mine/gather some
iron, gather some ash, and mine some obsidian.  Combine in some alchemical
ratio, and then they can craft a pair of boots with it.

The player has then created an item that is completely unavailable in the game
by collection means.  IMHO that is what the alchemy system is really missing..
the ability to make something truly unique and special to the player.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS