[CF-Devel] Materials (was FW: DIAMONDS)

Tue Apr 22 03:50:31 CDT 2003

When I read all this about materials, item-deconstruction and
harvesting skills I started to wonder:
What is this really going to add to the gameplay?

We already have item-creation.
We already have "raw materials" in respect to alchemy: Dread eyes
and lich dust are raw materials, diamonds are raw material...

Now if we had item-deconstruction and maybe transmutation,
that opens a big can of unbalancing-worms and economy loopholes
- and for what?

There was the suggestion to balance it by charging money.
So I have to pay to convert my armour into gold?
Well, fine - but how about dropping the old armour and bying
a new gold armour from the shop? Same outcome, easier to
understand, and already implemented since ten years.
I could deconstruct my gold armour into nuggets?
So what about selling the gold armour and bying nuggets from
the bank?

And what about the harvesting skills? To me they sound like
skills which are primarily focused around pressing a single
keyboard button. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Is the big deal the gain of "realism" like when rust monsters
can decompose my iron armour into rust? First, IMO realism
is less important than simplicity and gameplay.
Second, most CF features got abandoned before it ever came to
detail-work like the rust monster thing.

I also read the following argument:

      what the alchemy system is really missing...

      the ability to make something truly unique and special

      to the player.

     I don't understand this at all. The alchemy system *can*
be used to make any kind of unique and special item.
In fact, we explicity decided we do not want this
because it is spoiling our quests when the best items
can be composed of random ingredients.

After all, this smells like the "big deal" are going to be
the great items you get out of item-de/construction.
This is not gameplay value. This is like placing a big
unbalanced super-sword in a badly designed map to make
it interesting.

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more