[CF-Devel] Map lore redux

Sat Apr 26 17:13:09 CDT 2003

  Adding it to the map header may not be terrible.  My one concern about adding
it as an object within the map is for people down the road that might edit that
map - how are they supposed to find where that lore object is?  that also said,
it wouldn't be hard to write/modify a script that looks for a lore/endlore field
in the map header, and if it finds out, formulates the lore object around it.

  I agree that have location tags for the lore isn't a bad idea.  It has long
since been mentioned that there should be different regions in crossfire - this
would at least be a start.  for this to work, the different region names would
have to be agreed upon - otherwise, map makers and others could use different
names that don't match up in their lore fields.

  As for level info or lore:
I'm still undecided if level is best, or if a weighted value is best.  Eg, that
info about a wyrm under a mountain, may appear 1% of the time in most any
library, but 'better' libraries are more likely to have that piece of info.  Eg,
if you have something like:

  lore
    @chance 40:
      Orcs are small greenish monsters.
    @chance 30, scorn:
      Rumors tell there is a secret passage to port joseph
      from the prison of scorn. Maybe it's just a drunkard's
      story...
    @chance 2, lake_country:
      Deep underground the mountains of lake country
      dwells a terrible wyrm of chaos.
   endlore

  The total probability is 72.  40/72 woudl be the first entry, 30/72 would be
the second, 2/72 would be the third.  However, the 'level' of the library gets
added.  So if the library is level 10 lets say, we roll the d72, add 10, and if
val > 72, val=72.  Thus, the first entry is less likely to show up, and the last
one is more likely show up.

  But this may not be really good - so including absolute level could also work.
  As said, I'm undecided.  But in the above method, a gem of knowledge could
occasionally show up in a low level library.  This might add some
interest/intrigue (oh, I remember seeing something about a wyrm in lake country
a long time ago in some library).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com