[CF-Devel] Map lore redux

Sat Apr 26 11:52:31 CDT 2003

Andreas Vogl wrote:

     I like the lore thing.

     If I may suggest something:

     Since these lores are going to appear in books and maybe

     other places, it might be beneficial to specify

     which lore relates to which place and is relevant to which

     player level.

     I would suggest a syntax like this:

     (The messages don't really fit together, it's just an example)

       lore

         @level 1:

           Orcs are small greenish monsters.

         @level 40, lake_country:

           Deep underground the mountains of lake country

           dwells a terrible wyrm of chaos.

         @level 3, scorn:

           Rumors tell there is a secret passage to port joseph

           from the prison of scorn. Maybe it's just a drunkard's

           story...

       endlore

     In this way, there could be libraries for example which have

     books containing information only relevant to players of

     levels 1-15.

     A library in lake country could have information about

     the surrounding areas, but not about pupland for instance.

     The name field in the arch is captured too, so if you wanted to put some
lore on you map containing the 'terrible chaos wyrn' you would slap the
lore arch on the map, change the name field to a key phrase such as
'deep under lake county'.  As you describe, it would be nice to possibly
have more than one level of key word and use some other fields too.  I
would like to keep the lore standard across map and arch but no reason
not to have extra fields available for map lore- like area or level (but
did you read the talk about weighting lore?) which is why I am still
pondering and not really doing anything yet.

     This could help improving the well-known problem about

     players who don't find suitable maps to play.

     That's the idea, the other main point is to make the information modular
so that if a map is removed - so is the lore.  This is why I am pushing
to store it in the maps (and the arches for item lore) and not in a
message file even though it gets collected anyway.

     About map lores: I would put them into the map header.

     That way, it is clear where to find it and we don't need

     to have exceptional cases in the object parser.

     But that's just my opinion.

     Andreas

     I can see Mark's point of not wanting to add more fields into the map
header, and actually now like the idea of using an arch so that you can
put as many 'lore points' as you need in a single map.

As for collecting this - I do think it would be better done by reading
through the map files and generating a repository file like in the
script I posted than by reading iit in from a map header with a parser
in the server when the maps are loaded.  That being said however, I was
thinking I should do this collection script as either a DM command or
triggered event using the Python plugin.   It is real easy to do this
sort of thing in Python so I don't really worry about collection
process.  Now having a solid lore data type is a good idea however and
worth hammering out.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com