[CF-Devel] Issues I'de like to bring up

Sun Apr 27 05:37:00 CDT 2003

      > [...]

      > My issue is with the current maps I've seen.

      > There is no real progression threw "easy" "medium"

      > and "hard" types of maps. [...]

This is a good point really.

In most all commercial RPGs you find difficulty levels
grouped in areas. That's no coincidence.
In Crossfire this is widely not the case, and that's why
players often don't find the right maps while in fact
there are many.

      My personal gripe would perhaps be that in the 15-25 range,

      the number  of maps that are challenging yet not really

      deadly are few and far beween.

      [...]

      IMO, this might be more a problem with the monsters -

      there isn't a lot of monsters in that range.

I believe there are enough monsters and there are
enough mid level maps. The problem is these maps are sprinkled
all over the world, and there is no "mid level area".

We have especially many map sets with an "internal" level
progression all the way from kobolds to big demons and dragons.
This can be found in wizard tower, volcanoe, 9 gates of hell,
and many more. While this concept has it's merits, the mid
level players are really the losers in that case:
They first need to go through the "boring" low level stages -
and then exit out before it gets too dangerous, which means
they have to leave with little or no reward.

I'm not suggesting we should start to rewrite all maps or
something. What could be done though is adding an advice
about this to the official CF mapguide.

Just in case there is a common agreement to this new
"guideline", I would suggest something along the lines of this:

  Avoid mixing difficulty levels all over the place. When newbie
  maps, mid level- and high level areas stay seperated, players
  have a much easier time to find what is suitable for them. It is
  okay to place a harder map into a low level area, as long as it
  requires something to enter which keeps out too weak players.

Feel free to extend, modify or criticize it. :-)

AndreasV

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more

     http://www.gmx.net